Chasuble Repair Project

This was one of my first repair projects. It was difficult to find threads that matched the original but I found some that were “close enough”. I’ve published before and after pictures.
The main problems were: broken cardboard under the goldwork. Frayed threads. Tarnished spangles and missing spangles. Previous repair job that had marred the design.
I used Elizabethan passing thread in real gold and a Kreinik metalics cable. The spangles were easy to find and attach. I also used jewelry polish cloths to shine up some of the threads overall. A challenging and rewarding first project.

Before_stem
Before repair. You can see the cracked cardboard that gave the cross on the back of the chasuble height. Gold embroidery threads were then laid on top of the cardboard.
After repairing the cardboard it lays nice and flat. Ready for thread.
After repairing the cardboard it lays nice and flat. Ready for thread.
All finished.
All finished.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s